The Chair of Public and Behavioral Economics supervises Master theses. If you consider writing your thesis at out chair, please make sure of the following.
Applying for a master thesis
- In general, you are responsible to ensure fulfilling all necessary requirements to be eligible for writing a thesis and to also comply with all the rules prescribed by your study program. You need to make this sure by consulting the Prüfungsordnung and/or the Studienbüro.
- You need to submit a formal application by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). It should include the following information:
- The study program you are enrolled in and the number of semesters you have been studying
- Your most recent transcript
- A recent CV
- A short letter of motivation, describing your general areas of interest, one or several potential topics you can imagine working on (if available), and your methodological preferences (e.g. whether you want to work with data in your thesis).
- The submission deadlines for applications are:
- November 1 (for theses starting in the first quarter of the following year),
- February 1 (for the second quarter of the year),
- May 1 (for the third quarter of the year),
- and August 1 (for the last quarter of the year).
Procedures after your application
- If your application has been submitted on time, we will contact you to arrange an office hour were we will either suggest a topic to you or discuss your own suggested topic with you.
- Following this office hour, you are required to draft an exposé based on the discussed topic. Please hand in a printed version and send an electronic version (PDF) to email@example.com.
- After having received your exposé you will be notified of the success of your application. Since we receive many applications, we reserve the right to decline your application.
- If you are accepted, you are required to start your thesis at the beginning of the quarter that you applied for.
Writing your thesis
- During your thesis you can contact your supervisor to arrange office hours. There is no formal limit on the number and structure of office hours, rather this depends on individual arrangements with your supervisor with regard to your concrete topic and the corresponding supervision requirements.
- After each office hour (within 1 or 2 days) you need to send your supervisor a brief summary documenting your main points of discussion and in particular anything you agreed upon during the office hour.
- Please make sure you acknowledge the following document including the formal guidelines for writing a thesis.
- It is also compulsive to hand in an electronic PDF version of your thesis via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.